atl v2.9.12

Drunk Driver Hit Me. Do I Need a Lawyer?

Attorney Explains Difference Between Criminal and Civil Trials

Video Transcript:

If you're injured by a drunk driver, does the DA work to get you damages? We ask California attorney Richard Richardson in this AskTheLawyers™ Quick Question.

Richard Richardson:

The prosecutors actually represent the state and the jurisdiction where they work at; so they want to hold the person accountable for breaking the law. In doing that, one of the ancillary objectives is to make sure that the victim has their medical treatment and hospital bills paid for, but oftentimes the defendant that hits the person doesn't have the financial ability to completely pay for the lost wages, time off work that may last over a year, permanent injuries. That's when the civil litigation attorney comes in; you may have an underinsured motorist policy that you didn't know about and that the prosecutor definitely won't know about. You may also have a homeowner's policy that covers it; there may be assets that the defendant has that we never disclose. All these things are things that you could rely upon to make a victim whole, and a good civil litigation attorney can find some of those things. Otherwise they will be looked over.

Disclaimer: This video is for informational purposes only. In some states, this video may be deemed Attorney Advertising. The choice of lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertisements.


© 1999-2021™

Terms and Conditions / Privacy Policy /
Report an Issue

Legal Disclaimer: This website is for informational purposes only. Use of this website does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Information entered on this website is not confidential. This website has paid attorney advertising. Anyone choosing a lawyer must do their own independent research. By using this website, you agree to our additional Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.